Monday, December 3, 2012

A short(?) recap

And well I'm at it again, berating myself every other day for never being able to stick to that much needed exercise schedule. And if one more person sees me and says "Why do YOU need to exercise?" I will really tell them :)!! I mean, have you seen my post-C-Section (that's one excuse long gone!) paunch ?!

So to amuse myself, and hopefully you too, (and find material for that Day 4 post ;)) I thought I should make a list of home exercise schedules that I tried, and somehow or the other didn't work for me.

  1. P90 - This is one of the easiest ones from Beachbody (yeah you read that right ;)). They have a really well known one called P90X, but I wanted to start from the basic version and work my way up. Overall, it was quite a good option. Short, simple exercises, with a good set of stretching thrown in. The neck stretches especially were very good for my cervical spondylosis issues, never needed to do my therapeutic stretches when I did this. Did this on and off for a month, stopped, restarted etc etc. It basically gets a bit repetitive and boring after a while, of course you are supposed to progress to the next step that I never did ;).
  2. P90X - The real mean version of the one above, it's raved about by most exercise enthusiasts who've tried it. Longer routines, so a bit more difficult to fit in, not to mention the intensity is about a quadzillion+ more than what I can ever manage! Tried it for all of 1 day, and then went back to endless loop of above.
  3. Turbo Jam: Dancey routine from Beachbody, nice for a change, but did not like the lesser amount of stretching. Didn't feel it was great for my knees.
  4. Turbo Fire: Much faster, much dancier version of above. I have two left feet. Enough said.
  5. Leslie Sansone's Walks: This is a very nice set of videos, totally approachable, very simple set of steps, seems ideal for someone like me. The 1 mile walk is only about 20 minutes long, so great to fit into any day. Why I still didn't manage to stick to it - NO IDEA!!!!
Other than these I have tried the gym, power yoga etc at various times of life, but even with being a SAHM I am not keen on getting into something where I will have to devote exactly that same hour every day, doesn't work for me as a zillion things seem to come up that need my attention exactly between 11 and 12 on that very day. 

So here I was, again at square one, and I finally decided to start somewhere and went and joined a yoga class that functions along with my daughter's karate class - this way I'm anyway going to be there so no time lost - Wish me luck!

And yes, if anyone wants to partner up and join me in trying one of these schedules, I'd love to do that too ;). After all 23rd time may be lucky I guess!

This post is for Day 4 of #marathonbloggers. Do check out our FB group if you would like to make one post every day in the month of December.

14 comments:

  1. Paunch, Aparna?? where..where??? You wouldn't complain so much if you were to realize how much of a paunch I camouflage cleverly :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha Uma, I am very doubtful if it can compete with mine, but I'll take your word for it ;).

      Delete
  2. Gosh aparna.. i cant believe you have one if you see how much I actually suck in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh come on I know you are the dedicated yoga lady :)..

      Delete
  3. Lol atleast you try.. I walk around unabashedly with my 25month-postpartum-3month-looking belly and the thought of exercising it back in hasn't yet struck me !

    I sound so proud of my flab in that sentence. sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe Sirisha, that sounds pretty much like me. For a long time I used to tell hubby - have 2 kids and then talk about paunches, but my little guy is going to turn 5, so that's a bit of a stretch now ;).

      Delete
  4. I could so use a friend/partner for an exercise schedule. I am hopeless at sticking to doing things otherwise!! :( All the best and stick to it babe :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simran :). Seems like I have company, why does that feel weirdly good ;).

      Delete
  5. Sigh! You post makes me feel guilty of having left my Yoga classes just because they used to happen at a particular time every morning. The workouts you've spoken about seem interesting and should work with me since I guess we are somewhat similar as you pointed out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah AJ, if you can find a way to establish that home workout routine, there are so many possibilities.. Discipline! Discipline! I just couldn't manage to stick to it though.

      Delete
  6. I'm with you in spirit, through that yoga! Go do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jandy, the more spirits the merrier ;).

      Delete
  7. I am not able to even try to get myself to stick to a regime. Guess I need one of those Big Loser sponsors :|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there Pallavi, we'll all somehow figure out something that works for us!!

      Delete